To file for divorce in Alberta, the following criteria must be met:
- At least one of the spouses must have habitually lived in Alberta for at least one full year, prior to the commencement of divorce proceedings.
- You must be living separate lives at the time the divorce action is started.
- Filing jointly (if possible) is easier, quicker, less adversarial, and less expensive than filing a sole action (requires the full cooperation of both spouses).
- Divorce actions on the grounds of separation typically take from 2 to 4 months to conclude but it is not necessary to wait until one year of separation to begin the process.
- A copy of: your original marriage certificate or original registration of your marriage.
- If applicable: a copy of all Court Orders, Separation Agreements, and other written arrangements which pertain to the marriage or any children of the marriage.
- If you have only an oral agreement, please describe the terms and provide the date of the agreement.
Please Note: You will be re-directed to PayPal for your purchase; where you can choose to pay with a PayPal account or by debit or credit card. Once you have completed your purchase you will be re-directed to a secure page where you can fill in the required information to produce your personalized divorce forms.